[webkit-dev] Proposal: Remove ENABLE(MATHML)

Frédéric WANG fred.wang at free.fr
Tue Oct 24 00:13:05 PDT 2017

@Konstantin I think you are a bit deviating from the main question but
FWIW: a) MathML also remains readable without math fonts as long as you
don't use complex content (same is true for normal text as long as you
do not use the rarest unicode characters) b) None of the feature
detection technique is perfect (mspace only tests a very basic MathML
feature, one can also make a test for available math fonts if present,
what if javascript is disabled? etc) and adding a build-time flag to
disable a HTML5 feature seems a very fragile way to guarantee the
content delivered to users.

SVG and MathML are features that share a common history (designed as
elements in a different namespaces, separate spec embedded in HTML5,
initially implemented under a build-time flags in Gecko and WebKit...)
so my point was really just that from the implementer point of view it
makes sense to handle them consistently, nothing more.

It seems you did not reply to the question about whether you have a
concrete use case of an embedded device where degrading HTML5 support to
help feature detection is important. I suspect for such device like
set-top box kind where math rendering is not essential, it does not
really matter whether MathML is enabled or not or whether fonts or
installed or not. But in any case, I still don't see why a build-time
flag would help and, as Maciej mentioned; it could better be a runtime
flag instead.

--
Frédéric Wang - frederic-wang.fr