[webkit-dev] Upstreaming from LayoutTests to web-platform-tests, coordinating Blink+WebKit

Robert Ma robertma at chromium.org
Fri Nov 24 13:36:42 PST 2017

On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 9:09 AM, Frédéric WANG <fred.wang at free.fr> wrote:
> Right, running all the tests is nice. But sometimes I personally feel
> guilty to have to execute everything on EWS for example to retrieve
> results for macOS/iOS (when I did not have access to a mac) or to fix
> compilation failures on Windows ports. So better granularity would be
> helpful in my opinion. In any cases, this was just one idea and people
> working on CI and infrastructure are in better position to know how to
> improve running time of WPT tests. I'm surprised that I don't hear such
> complaints from Mozilla and Chromium (but maybe I'm not aware of them).

Chromium has build bots that are similar to EWS. Some bots run before every
patch lands (CQ bots), while the other bots can be requested to run any
time with a WIP patch (try bots). CQ bots run *all* layout tests + WPT,
among other tests, on all major platforms. Try bots are similar, but one
select a subset of bots (platforms) to run. This is made possible by the
infrastructure team with the fancy LUCI system, especially the distributed
test execution system Swarming
<https://github.com/luci/luci-py/blob/master/appengine/swarming/doc/Design.md>
.

Running all layout tests + WPT on a single machine takes hours, so I don't
think Blink engineers often do that locally. Generally speaking, people
will use try bots liberally to test 'em all whenever they want to run more
than just a handful of tests.

That said, we can of course benefit from WPT performance improvement as
well.

Robert