[webkit-dev] Editing WPT tests in a WebKit checkout

Philip Jägenstedt foolip at chromium.org
Sat Nov 4 08:38:30 PDT 2017

On Sun, Oct 15, 2017 at 2:39 PM, youenn fablet <youennf at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on a script [1] to easily export edits made to WPT tests from a
> local WebKit checkout into GitHub.
> The procedure would be something like:
> 1. Develop a WebKit patch
> 2. As part of step 1, update/create WPT tests and test them in WebKit
> environment
> 3. Export WPT-related changes to a WPT GitHub fork and/or PR to W3C WPT
> repository using the script
>
> This allows authoring WPT tests and WebKit patch at the same time.
> This removes the annoying steps of manually copying WebKit changes to an
> external WPT checkout.
>
> At that point, one can wait for WPT PR to land or start uploading changes to
> bugzilla in parallel.
> The usual WebKit review process will happen with the possibility to merge
> the corresponding WPT PR when related WebKit patch is r+ed.
> Changes to WPT tests should be committed in WebKit trunk when already merged
> to W3C WPT.
>
> There are some benefits of doing both PR and bugzilla at the same time.
> It allows for instance validating stability of test, style of test and
> results on other browsers through WPT GitHub infrastructure.

I'd like to lend my support to the value of "authoring WPT tests and
WebKit patch at the same time".

A month ago, I looked into what effect 2-way sync had in Chromium, and
summarized here:
https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msg/ecosystem-infra/yDAnUCUqFcw/sk5gxzjbBgAJ

"Chromium contributions have more than tripled, and it seems very
likely that automatic export of changes has something to do with it."

Gecko is now improving its sync with web-platform-tests, and frequent
sync with WebKit is at the very top of my wishlist for things that
would enable improved interop of browser engines.