[webkit-dev] Another WPT bite

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Tue May 16 01:16:28 PDT 2017

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 11:57 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk at annevk.nl> wrote:
> On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 7:29 AM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:
>> Given we're talking about how these tests are ran inside WebKit,
>> whether there is an agreement about this or not is sort of irrelevant.
>> If a test doesn't run as expected, we can run it inside a HTTP server.
>
> I was just trying to help clarify why what makes sense for WebKit,
> might not make sense for tests designed to run on all engines. If
> that's not desired here, I'll stop.

Sure, I don't think we're interested in changing the way tests are ran
elsewhere.

It would be great if upstream web-platform-tests could use relative
paths whenever possible or allowed annotation (e.g. we'd add such
annotation) as to which tests could be ran locally via file URL.

However, that's more or less a secondary concern (nice-to-have)
whereas how web-platform-tests are imported and ran in WebKit are a
lot more important to us due to the impact it has on our development
process, tooling, as well as the maintenance cost.

- R. Niwa