[webkit-dev] Another WPT bite

Anne van Kesteren annevk at annevk.nl
Sun May 14 00:35:50 PDT 2017

On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 8:24 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:
> For the engineer use case, we can make a command-line tool to launch the server and load the test. But it's kind of sad that in ~95% of cases, the only value provided by the server is resolving the path to testharness.js. If tests referenced testharness.js via relative path, then most of the time they could be loaded as local files just fine, which would be more convenient (as well as, I believe, solving the "external trac link" issue).

I think the main problem with not running a server is that behavior
for file URLs is not defined. And browsers tend to impose different
restrictions there. So you might end up debugging something only to
later found out it didn't work due to file URL restrictions. And you
can't guarantee that something will work from a file URL, because
there's no agreement on what will.

I personally just keep web-platform-tests running and don't notice
much overhead (MacBook Air, Mid 2012).

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/