[webkit-dev] Another WPT bite

ap at webkit.org ap at webkit.org
Fri May 12 19:49:56 PDT 2017

> 12 мая 2017 г., в 19:38, Brian Burg <bburg at apple.com> написал(а):
>
>> I think that I explained it very clearly, but let me try again.
>>
>> When there is a test failure that I need to communicate to others, I say something "please open <https://trac.webkit.org/export/216812/webkit/trunk/LayoutTests/fast/images/destroyed-image-load-event.html <https://trac.webkit.org/export/216812/webkit/trunk/LayoutTests/fast/images/border.html>> in Safari to reproduce". That's very easy to do, and makes it very easy for others to work on the issue.
>> If your test requires complex setup, like WPT does, then I may not have the time to write up complicated steps to reproduce, or the person who gets the bug may not have the time to follow them. Those people don't have a WebKit checkout, so scripts won't help. This makes the test less effective, as problems that it finds are less likely to be addressed.
>
> If the person works on WebKit, then it seems unreasonable that they would do work without a checkout.

It is correct that people who work on WebKit usually have a checkout. So I was taking about people who don't work on WebKit.

> If they don’t work on WebKit, then you could run wptserve on a machine somewhere and link to that copy. We have several servers that exist solely to host test content, it doesn’t seem like a big deal to make one of them update regularly and relaunch wptserve to pick up test harness changes.

Yes, there is a number of things one could do. Those things would work in some cases but not in others - I mentioned linking to a stable version that won't change, which is something that trac gives us for free, and it would be non-trivial to implement otherwise.

In practice, the best approach would be to reduce the test to a minimum that doesn't use complex harnesses before ending it over. Everyone likes minimal test cases.

- Alexey