[webkit-dev] Performance Difference between Webkit and Wekit2 API's

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Wed May 10 13:40:17 PDT 2017

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 6:19 AM, Rodney Dowdall <rdowdall at cranksoftware.com>
wrote:

> We currently have a port of WebKit that uses the WebKit API.  It works
> well, but the performance isn't quite at the level of some other WebKit
> ports.
>
> I was wondering if there would be an expected performance gain by using
> the Webkit2 API.  My line of thinking is that the streamlining that takes
> place under the WebKit API could be killing our performance.
>
> Are there any performance numbers that show if there is a difference
> between the two API's?

Probably due to better memory locality, we see ~5% page load time
performance improvement.

The fact each page gets loaded into a separate process also means memory
tends to get less fragmented, and that results in lower memory usage over
time in a typical web browsing scenario.

But it's hard to make a generic statement with regards to your port's
slowness. If you're seeing your graphics performance to be bad, for
example, that could be due to the way your graphics stack is hooked up with
WebCore. Do you have JSC's JIT enabled in your port? If not, that would
explain JS performance and general overall slowness in your port.

- R. Niwa