[webkit-dev] User agent woes

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at igalia.com
Wed May 10 12:28:33 PDT 2017

I noticed a UI change on Google Maps today: Earth Mode (which
previously indicated we were getting full-featured 3D functionality)
has been replaced with Satellite Mode (which was previously the
low-functionality 2D version). At first I was worried that we would
need to find a new quirk to make 3D mode work, but Satellite Mode still
has all 3D functions. So I tested to see what would happen with the
user agent quirk removed, and it works just fine. Additionally, user
agent quirks no longer seem to be necessary on Google Calendar.

Now, Google Maps breaks if we change "Linux x86_64" to "FreeBSD amd64".
But I think we can avoid the need for quirks by just always sending
"Linux x86_64" in the user agent. It's a bad idea to send an accurate
platform string there anyway; we should send x86_64 if we want desktop
websites and an ARM user agent if we want mobile websites, irrespective
of what the underlying architecture actually is.

So this is awesome. Also a bit embarrassing, because it seems likely
that these issues were fixed by Google before I even started this
thread. Ah well. :)

Michael