[webkit-dev] Rename LayoutTests

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Wed May 10 02:14:39 PDT 2017

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 12:02 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:

> IntegrationTests doesn't distinguish them from performance tests, or API
> tests. And most test integration only incidentally. FunctionalTests doesn't
> distinguish them from any of the other kinds of tests besides performance
> tests.
>
> I think just plain Tests is better than calling out a characteristic that
> isn't actually unique. It's by far the most common type of test we have, so
> it's ok for it to be the unmarked category.

The problem with Tests is that it competes with Tools.
(Renaming Tools is a lot harder not to mention it's a pretty
descriptive name already).

How about CorrectnessTests or CoreTests then?

> I think the only names that are both accurate and unique are likely to be
> bad for autocomplete (WebTests, WebContentTests, etc).

I guess we can also move WebKit.xcworkspace into Source, and rename
WebKitLibraries to SystemInterfaceLibraries (and maybe move into
Source), and then move Websites into Tools.

- R. Niwa