[webkit-dev] Proposal: Remove Vibration API

Joseph Pecoraro pecoraro at apple.com
Tue May 9 11:39:51 PDT 2017

There is code in the tree for the Vibration API guarded by ENABLE(VIBRATION). I propose we remove it:
<https://webkit.org/b/171766> Remove Vibration API

There have been concerns that the Vibration API can be used for fingerprinting and has the potential for abuse by web content:
<https://blog.lukaszolejnik.com/privacy-of-w3c-vibration-api/ <https://blog.lukaszolejnik.com/privacy-of-w3c-vibration-api/>>
<https://github.com/w3c/vibration/issues/2 <https://github.com/w3c/vibration/issues/2>>

Currently this feature is not enabled by any port, so it is unmaintained. Generally that would be enough to remove the code unless a port wishes to enable and maintain the feature.

Does any port intend to enable and maintain this feature?

- Joe