[webkit-dev] Another WPT bite

Brady Eidson beidson at apple.com
Mon May 8 22:56:37 PDT 2017

> On May 8, 2017, at 10:42 PM, youenn fablet <youennf at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> testharness.js does not need an http server. Some WPT goodies need the WPT server.

I misunderstood since we were also discussing:

>> To continue moving forward, some of us are proposing to serve all tests in LayoutTests/wpt through the WPT server [1].

I think if somebody is writing a testharness.js test and it does *not* require the WPT server, it should be tested as a file URL.

This would imply putting it outside of LayoutTests/wpt though, right?

> I agree different frameworks offer different benefits. There is no reason we should mandate one framework in particular.

Let me make it even more clear what I'm trying to defend. An ad-hoc custom test that uses no "framework" but is entirely self contained.

> In case there is no specific needs, it makes sense to me to recommend using testharness.js, at least for those hacking WebCore.

I think it's valuable for engineers to be aware of the "frameworks" like testharness.js and js-test, and familiar with the facilities they provide, but to not necessarily imply that using any framework is expected.

Thanks,
 Brady