[webkit-dev] How to display new MIME types?

Daryle Walker darylew at mac.com
Tue Jul 18 12:31:55 PDT 2017

[I’m not sure this is the right forum.]

If I want Safari for Mac to display a new MIME type, how do I do it? I know there used to be an Apple-custom API for this, but it was deprecated for classic Netscape plug-ins long ago. However, those NPAPI plug-ins have been deprecated themselves across platforms for many years. There are the newest Safari extensions, which are versions of Apple’s app-extensions API, but those only do JavaScript modifications and such, and don’t cover new types (I think). Am I completely out of luck now? Can I still try NPAPI?

—
Daryle Walker
Mac, Internet, and Video Game Junkie
darylew AT mac DOT com