[webkit-dev] Building WebKit for an iOS device

Alex Christensen achristensen at apple.com
Wed Jul 12 10:19:29 PDT 2017

WebKit can be built and run on the iOS simulator by anyone with the public iOS SDK.  I use https://webkit.org/blog/3457/building-webkit-for-ios-simulator/ <https://webkit.org/blog/3457/building-webkit-for-ios-simulator/> when I forget how to do this.

I guess WebKit can be built for device, but I’m pretty sure WebKit cannot be put as the system framework on an iOS device without Apple-internal tools.  With a lot of work you might be able to statically link everything into a custom app for local debugging, but I’m pretty sure such an app would be rejected by the App Store based on section 2.5.6 of https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/ <https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/>