[webkit-dev] some problems and wishes

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at igalia.com
Tue Jan 10 13:00:07 PST 2017

On Tue, 2017-01-10 at 22:42 +0300, Oleg Milovidov wrote:
> Dear Sirs!
> I built WebKit2Gtk release 14.2 under Linux Mint 18 gcc compiler on
> 13/11/2016.
> It works stable!
> I use the product for embed web C++ application (Gtk-3).
> I noticed some problems and I have some wishes with the product.
> 1. Size of downloading resource.
> It is important for user to know the size of downloading resource. I
> know that servers sometimes do not send this information. But
> sometimes other browsers and curl can receive the size of resource,
> when WebKit2Gtk returns 0. I use curl in this case internally.
> I wrote embed WebBrowser under MS Windows. IE WebBrowser Control
> always knows the size of resource. Sometimes initially IE WebBrowser
> Control returns 0, but when downloading starts, the IDownloadManager
> always know total size of resource.

I don't know about this.

> 2. Scroll bars rendering often is strange. Scroll bars change own
> images. Some old parts of page under transparent scroll bars are on
> them. Scroll bars need to be invalidated?

That shouldn't happen. Are you using the default GTK+ theme (Adwaita)?
If not, does your GTK+ theme support overlay scrollbars?

> 3. Segmentation error when I was trying to read:
> bool value =
> webkit_settings_get_allow_universal_access_from_file_urls(settings);

That shouldn't happen either. Did you pass in a valid WebKitSettings
object obtained from webkit_web_view_get_settings()?

> 4. Compilation of an extension was problem. I defined symbol
> __WEBKIT2_H_INSIDE__. After that I can compile an extension with
> WebView and manually included <webkit2/WebKitWebView.h>,
> <webkit2/WebKitNavigationPolicyDecision.h> and others.

You cannot use UI process headers from the web extension because the
web extension runs in the web process, not the UI process. There's
nothing good you could do with those headers. ;)

> 5. I was trying to use model:
> WEBKIT_PROCESS_MODEL_MULTIPLE_SECONDARY_PROCESSES.
> But second web page in the next notebook page do not start
> downloading. So I was unsuccessful with the model.

I don't know about this either. It should work. :(

> 6. User agent string. Well known in Russia mass media
> site http://www.rbc.ru/ detected my browser as very old and there
> were serious problem with rendering the site. When I change UAS to
> "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux) AppleWebKit/602.1 (KHTML, like Gecko)
> Chrome/54.0.2840.59 Safari/8" problem disappeared.
> But Google maps begun inform me with new UAS that «It is simplified
> mode. Your browser do not support full version of Google maps». I
> consider that Google maps rendering with Google Chrome is better that
> with WebKit2Gtk. So Google maps is a good test from my point of view.

Please file a bug report, and respond to this mail with a link to the
bug so that I see it. I will add it to our user agent quirks list.

> 7. Font size for Web Inspector is too small for me. Some editable
> style config for Inspector, including zoom control
> will be good.

Don't know about this either.

Hope I helped a little,

Michael