[webkit-dev] update GCC version?

Alberto Garcia berto at igalia.com
Mon Jan 9 11:44:50 PST 2017

On Mon, Jan 09, 2017 at 04:39:44PM +0100, Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez wrote:

> I strongly oppose to do (a). Also, it is false that Debian doesn't
> take our updates. They take our updates in the backports repository
> for stable.

The main reason why that happens is that the WebKitGTK+ stable updates
not only include security fixes but also several other changes, which
is not how things usually work in Debian:

https://www.debian.org/security/faq#oldversion

Since WebKitGTK+ is conservative regarding API/ABI changes I don't
think there's much of a risk there, but there's definitely a risk
of introducing regressions, and unlike Mozilla or Chromium updating
WebKitGTK+ can affect or potentially break any of the many packages
that depend on it.

That's why I started uploading it to the backports repository, and my
plan is to keep the backports always up to date.

Berto