[webkit-dev] update GCC version?

Konstantin Tokarev annulen at yandex.ru
Mon Jan 9 10:05:29 PST 2017

09.01.2017, 20:53, "Michael Catanzaro" <mcatanzaro at igalia.com>:
> On Mon, 2017-01-09 at 16:56 +0100, Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez wrote:
>>  Can you please explain how you reach that conclusion?
>>  Do you have any data to back up such claim?
>
> No, I don't have data, but it seems extremely naive to assume that any
> significant subset of users use backports. It is not enabled by
> default, and we know users almost never change defaults.

I believe users of WebKit can be reasonably split into two groups:
1) desktop
2) server

In case of desktop, I can assure you that it's genuinely hard to use distro like Debian stable or CentOS on desktop without any additional repos. Backports repo comes as a first candidate in case of Debian.

In case of server, indeed people won't change defaults until they very much need it. However, WebKit is not a typical server software, so I think it would be reasonable to assume server users know what they are doing.

> Reasonable
> users assume they are receiving security updates by default.
>
> This seems to have diverged from the topic at hand, though. I agree
> your proposal to remove the +1 year requirement is better than both of
> mine, so if we decide to bump the compiler requirement that's the one
> we should choose.
>
> Michael

Konstantin