[webkit-dev] Why does RELEASE_ASSERT not have an error message?

Filip Pizlo fpizlo at apple.com
Wed Feb 22 12:25:13 PST 2017

> On Feb 22, 2017, at 12:23 PM, Saam barati <sbarati at apple.com> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 22, 2017, at 12:16 PM, Filip Pizlo <fpizlo at apple.com <mailto:fpizlo at apple.com>> wrote:
>>

>>> On Feb 22, 2017, at 11:58 AM, Geoffrey Garen <ggaren at apple.com <mailto:ggaren at apple.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I’ve lost countless hours to investigating CrashTracers that would have been easy to solve if I had access to register state.
>>
>> The current RELEASE_ASSERT means that every assertion in what the compiler thinks is a function (i.e. some function and everything inlined into it) is coalesced into a single trap site.  I’d like to understand how you use the register state if you don’t even know which assertion you are at.
> When I disassemble JavaScriptCore, I often find a succession of int3s at the bottom of a function. Does LLVM sometimes combine them and sometimes not?

Yeah.

> For example, this is what the bottom of the __ZN3JSC20AbstractModuleRecord18getModuleNamespaceEPNS_9ExecStateE looks like:
>
> 0000000000005c25	popq	%r14
> 0000000000005c27	popq	%r15
> 0000000000005c29	popq	%rbp
> 0000000000005c2a	retq
> 0000000000005c2b	int3
> 0000000000005c2c	int3
> 0000000000005c2d	int3
> 0000000000005c2e	int3
> 0000000000005c2f	nop

I’m curious how many branches target those traps.

For example in the GC, I was often getting crashes that LLVM was convinced were vector overflow.  Turns out that the compiler loves to coalesce other traps with the one from the vector overflow assert, so if you assert for some random reason in a function that accesses vectors, all of our tooling will report with total confidence that you’re overflowing a vector.

That’s way worse than not having register state.

-Filip