[webkit-dev] Webkit port to ppc64le.

Konstantin Tokarev annulen at yandex.ru
Wed Feb 22 06:58:12 PST 2017

22.02.2017, 17:41, "Atul Sowani" <sowani at gmail.com>:
> So, essentially, some tweaking in the code of LLInt/interpreter _is_ required when porting it to the new platform. Is my understanding correct?

Yes. In order to port LLInt you should implement offlineasm backend. See for example arm.rb, arm64.rb, mips.rb in Source/JavaScriptCore/offlineasm/. You may also need arch-specific adjustements in Source/JavaScriptCore/llint, though it's better to minimize their number.

My point was that you don't have to port LLInt before you have working JIT. AFAIU main purpose of architecture-specific LLInt implementation is to provide interpreter with the same calling convention as JIT, not to make interpreter faster on its own.

See also https://trac.webkit.org/wiki/JavaScriptCore

> On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 4:11 PM, Konstantin Tokarev <annulen at yandex.ru> wrote:
>
>> 22.02.2017, 13:15, "Atul Sowani" <sowani at gmail.com>:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> This is not specific to any particular branch/version of WebKit. I was browsing the code with ppc64le porting in mind. By default JIT is not available on ppc64le, so the CLoop code is used instead.
>>>
>>> I see there is low level interpreter code in qtwebkit/Source/JavaScriptCore/llint directory and inside qtwebkit/Source/JavaScriptCore/interpreter directory (AbstractPC, CallFrame etc.). I am wondering if one needs to touch this code as well to make it work correctly on ppc64le.
>>
>> Porting JIT to new platfrom does not require porting LLInt, it can work without interpreter tier. However, it is a good idea to port LLInt after you have JIT in place, to improve overall quality.
>>

>>> Any comments/suggestions?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Atul.
>>> ,