[webkit-dev] Upstreaming Tests from WebKit to Web Platform Tests

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Tue Feb 7 11:25:15 PST 2017

> On Feb 6, 2017, at 5:15 PM, Alexey Proskuryakov <ap at webkit.org> wrote:
>

>> 6 февр. 2017 г., в 12:28, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org <mailto:rniwa at webkit.org>> написал(а):
>>
>> The concern I've heard about is not how run-webkit-tests run the tests. It's about how a test is opened inside a browser, DRT, WTR while debugging.
>
> +1
>
> I think that making web platform tests more practical for engineers to work with should be a pre-requisite for deeper integration.
>
> From tools perspective, cleaning up the way we get supporting scripts for web platform tests would be quite beneficial too. It is very hard to reason about what happens in a merge that just updates .tar.gz files or a SHA hash.

I think the potential of more automated sync and two-way sync with Web Platform Tests is great.

I also agree with Alexey and Ryosuke. It needs to be easy to run this type of test, including loading it in the browser. And managing the merge should not impose extra burdens on the person developing a patch. Our regression test requirement already imposes a significant (but important!) burden and we shouldn't make it worse.

The extra work should be done either by an automated system or by a person who is focused on doing periodic merges.

 - Maciej