[webkit-dev] Upstreaming Tests from WebKit to Web Platform Tests

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Mon Feb 6 01:03:56 PST 2017

On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 6:54 PM, Philip Jägenstedt <foolip at chromium.org>
wrote:

> FWIW, in Blink we stopped rewriting the testharness.js paths before
> switching to wptserve, by instead rewriting those URLs only when running
> LayoutTests:
> https://cs.chromium.org/chromium/src/content/shell/
> renderer/layout_test/blink_test_runner.cc?type=cs&q=
> content/shell/renderer/layout_test/blink_test_runner.cc&l=221
>
> So, we know that it's possible to run a lot of the tests without wptserve
> without modifying the tests. However, trying to list all the tests that do
> or don't need wptserve seems like a lot of work, and I think we're now
> using wptserve for all tests.

For us, the biggest concern is the ability to open it up on browser and
attach debugger easily so I don't think rewriting paths like that in
DRT/WTR or webkitpy would really address the problem.

One approach I came up during the meeting was to run a test with and
without a server. If the results match, there is a good chance the test
doesn't require a server. We can put that meta data somewhere (e.g. we can
insert a link/meta element next to where testharness.js is imported) so
that the information is readily available.

- R. Niwa