[webkit-dev] Growing tired of long build times? Check out this awesome new way to speed up your build... soon (HINT: It's not buying a new computer)

Keith Miller keith_miller at apple.com
Wed Aug 30 19:32:45 PDT 2017

> On Aug 30, 2017, at 7:25 PM, Dean Jackson <dino at apple.com> wrote:
>

>> On 29 Aug 2017, at 10:37 am, Keith Miller <keith_miller at apple.com <mailto:keith_miller at apple.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Are you growing tired of long cat naps while waiting 45 minutes for WebKit to build? (I’ve definitely never done this 🤐!)
>
> Never.

Too Bad!

>> Do you want WebKit to build up to 3-4x faster on a clean build?*
>
> Of course.
>
>> Does seeing your incremental build… stay the same sound good?
>
> Yes!
>
> I don't have any knowledge of build systems or how to make things faster, but I do want to mention things that are important to my workflow that I hope this change won't make worse. I'm a little worried that this appears to be moving away from Xcode in a manner that will make development more difficult. Maybe I've misunderstood some of the suggestions.
>
> I want to:
>
> - be able to do most (all) of my editing in Xcode

Yeah, but Eww.

> - have code completion and symbol navigation work very nicely in Xcode

Yep.

> - build and run from Xcode

Yep.

> - build and run from Xcode much faster than I can today

That’s the hope, there is some concern around incremental builds but I believe this should work.

> - use Xcode's debugger UI

Yep, modulo maybe the Radars Simon linked.

> - sometimes have just a single project open in Xcode (e.g. WebCore) and build only that part (so I can skip it even having to think about other parts)

I think we will need to support this for Internal Build reasons.

> Will the new magic build system offer these? Will it break any of them?
>
> If calling build can mean a new Xcode project is created, will I be able to open it and have a nice project structure, with the original files I want to edit, not the unified sources.

That’s not the plan of this project. I’m not sure how unified sources will interact Xcode when the CMake only build system is in place. We should make sure this is still sane whenever we do the CMake only build.

Cheers,
Keith