[webkit-dev] Growing tired of long build times? Check out this awesome new way to speed up your build... soon (HINT: It's not buying a new computer)

Geoffrey Garen ggaren at apple.com
Tue Aug 29 15:16:20 PDT 2017

Interesting.

The majority cases here are 7 or fewer files. I don’t see much difference between these cases and our existing benchmark for one file, where Keith described the build time delta as "barely noticeable".

For the minority cases that are 23 - 75 files, these challenge Keith’s description that "most of the build time in incremental builds is scanning dependencies” — assuming that you get unlucky enough for none of the files to bundle together.

If possible, it would be helpful to know if these files were in the same folders or not.

Alternatively, we can approximate the answer by benchmarking svn up for individual revisions.

Geoff