[webkit-dev] Unified source builds: A new rule for static variables

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Tue Aug 29 11:31:34 PDT 2017

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 29, 2017, at 11:22 AM, Keith Miller <keith_miller at apple.com> wrote:
>
>  I doubt anyone is going to run such a script before they go to upload a patch to bugzilla.

EWS was what I was hoping for; likely to be sufficient. But it could also be integrated into the development process as, say, check-webkit-style is.

> So developers will still hit the name collision issue randomly throughout development.

Sure.

But I don’t think that required extensive use of namespaces is the best way to greatly mitigate this. Mistakes will still happen. So I think we shouldn’t go too far in ruining readability of code for something that is not necessary to solve the problem.

Recommending either namespaces or globally unique names and clarifying that file local scope doesn’t exist are both good.

But again I think people already handle these problems fine in headers so we don’t need too tight a straitjacket, at least not out of the gate.

— Darin