[webkit-dev] Growing tired of long build times? Check out this awesome new way to speed up your build... soon (HINT: It's not buying a new computer)

Michael Catanzaro mcatanzaro at igalia.com
Mon Aug 28 21:43:13 PDT 2017

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 11:20 PM, Daniel Bates <dbates at webkit.org>
wrote:
> How does the speed gain with your proposed "unified source" approach
> compare to using CMake + Ninja to build currently (I think builder
> Apple El Capitan CMake Debug does this)?

I don't have any hard numbers, but anecdotal: the speedup from using
Ninja instead of Make is insignificant for clean builds. Ninja helps a
lot with incremental builds where you've only touched a couple files,
because you don't need to wait ages for make to calculate dependencies.
But Keith's project is to improve clean builds.

wrote:
> How does this work if you build from Xcode? I am assuming these
> bundles won't interfere with debugging in Xcode. When debugging in
> Xcode/lldb/gdb will Xcode/lldb/gdb resolve line information with
> respect to individual files or the bundles?

The line numbers and filenames will be total nonsense if we just
concatenate multiple source files together. But that's very easy to fix
if the script that concatenates the sources also adds a #line statement
between "files" to change the filename and reset the line number to 1.
See https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/cpp/Line-Control.html (I suspect it
will work just fine for Clang as well).

Michael