[webkit-dev] Python

Adrian Perez de Castro aperez at igalia.com
Fri Aug 11 05:08:07 PDT 2017

Hi all,

What I have been doing is having a Python 2.7 virtualenv [1], which gets
automatically enabled (or disabled) when changing directory under (or out of)
the WebKit source tree by means of zsh-autoenv [2]. This way the “python”
binary is the one for Python 2.7 inside the virtualenv, and I do not need to
remember about doing any setup manually when navigating directories in the
shell.

On Mon, 7 Aug 2017 17:56:51 +0200, Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez <clopez at igalia.com> wrote:
> >> Nope.
> > macOS does have /usr/bin/python2.7, though.
>
> That's a good thing.

This would work for people using a virtualenv as well:

  WebKit % which python2.7
  /home/aperez/.virtualenvs/webkit/bin/python2.7
  WebKit %

> I believe all Linux distros we support have this, right?
> And all the scripts actually assume python2.7 (AFAIK).

Arch Linux has a “python2.7” binary system-wide, too. The default installation
done when building Python always creates:

  ${prefix}/bin/python2.7
  ${prefix}/bin/python2 -> python2.7
  ${prefix}/bin/python -> python2.7

So I would expect most systems which ship Python to have a “python2.7” binary.

Cheers,

---
[1] https://virtualenv.pypa.io/en/stable/
[2] https://github.com/Tarrasch/zsh-autoenv