[webkit-dev] Python

Konstantin Tokarev annulen at yandex.ru
Mon Aug 7 07:30:12 PDT 2017

07.08.2017, 16:47, "Michael Catanzaro" <mcatanzaro at igalia.com>:
> [...]
> with Python 3 or else to use python2 in the shebang line." Lovely.
>
> Now Fedora is planning to switch /usr/bin/python to link to
> /usr/bin/python3 instead of /usr/bin/python2 [2]. Not for another three
> years, but many of us (hi! :) use Fedora, so we're going to have to fix
> our scripts by then. This could be really easy, or it could be really
> hard.
>
> The really easy solution is to just replace #!/usr/bin/env python with
> #!/usr/bin/env python2 everywhere. This will work on all Linux distros
> newer than Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 or thereabouts, which we
> definitely do not care about anymore. It doesn't work in very old
> distros because they did not provide /usr/bin/python2, only
> /usr/bin/python and very specific links like /usr/bin/python2.6. That
> doesn't matter because we don't care about those old systems anymore,
> but the problem is that last I checked, macOS did not provide a python2
> binary either. I am hoping that has changed in the past few years. Has
> it? If so, I can upload a patch to do this simple find/replace and we
> can all move on. If this is the case, yay! Stop reading now! Let me
> know. We should do that!
>
> But if not, we need to decide what to do among bad options:
>
>  * We could replace all our Python scripts that have shebangs with .in
> files, and perform configure replacements at CMake/XCode configure time
> to generate the scripts with the right python executable path. This
> would mean the scripts would be generated into the WebKit build
> directory instead of the source directory, so it will break those of us
> who have added Tools/Scripts to our PATH. It's not clear how they would
> find the right resource paths in the source directory, especially if
> using a build directory other than WebKit/WebKitBuild. I'm not even
> sure if XCode can do configure replacements. This would be a mess.
>  * We could require Mac developers to install a python2 symlink
> somewhere in PATH. Not really desirable, but possibly tolerable?
>  * We could port all our Python scripts to python3 and use
> #!/usr/bin/env python3, which will surely be unambiguous. But my
> understanding is that macOS does not have python3, so it will need to
> be installed locally. I guess that would be tolerable? Anyway, the main
> disadvantage here is we'd have to make all our scripts work with
> python3. If WebKit was a Linux-only project, we should definitely do
> that anyway, since major Linux distros no longer ship python2 by
> default: it's something we install extra now. But if macOS is sticking
> with python2, it would probably be undesirable to port our scripts to
> python3.
>  * We could make all our Python scripts compatible with both python2
> and python3, and maintain them this way forever. I really hope we can
> avoid this option, since we'd be breaking these scripts all the time as
> we would all surely not test one configuration or the other.

I think the latter option is quite feasible. The most widespread reason of
incompatibility with python3 is use of print operator instead of print()
function. I have a local patch that fixes these things, and it can be enforced by
style checker to keep new code compatible.

There are other issues, which are affecting just a few scripts (unfortunately they
are used in a build process). Those can be fixed once, and then we can rely on
python3 users to report incompatibilities. Anyway, these issues affect only code
that is already "legacy" in terms of python 2.7

> Any other ideas?
>
> Michael
>
> [1] https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0394/
> [2] https://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/729366/1d3cd2dbaea7070b/