[webkit-dev] C++17 is here. Should we use it?

JF Bastien jfbastien at apple.com
Fri Aug 4 13:39:41 PDT 2017

Hello WebKilters,

Our Chrome-y friends are considering the use of C++14 <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!msg/cxx/ow7hmdDm4yw/eV6KWL2yAQAJ>. I have to say that C++14 in WebKit has been quite amazing, and we should consider using C++17: it has many wonderful new things <https://github.com/tvaneerd/cpp17_in_TTs/blob/master/ALL_IN_ONE.md>, some of which we already use through WTF’s re-implementation of library features. By now (table as witness <http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/compiler_support>) most C++17 languages features are in clang and GCC, and MSVC isn’t doing too bad either. Language things can just come through WTF if we really want them.

So how about it?

JF