[webkit-dev] What's the rationale for not including config.h in any header files?

Keith Miller keith_miller at apple.com
Tue Aug 1 15:33:49 PDT 2017

That’s right if we end up going with C++ modules. We will either need to produce a replacement for config.h or have all root headers (i.e. headers that don’t include any other WebKit headers) include config.h. This is because with C++ modules the rule is that you have to include what you use. C++ modules basically precompile all the ASTs of your headers, which is not possible to do without all your macro/configuration definitions.

I’m not sure there is a great replacement for a configuration header but perhaps we can come up with one.

Cheers,
Keith

P.S. There is also a reasonable chance that we will do some form of unified sources (compiling multiple cpp files at the same time). In that case we don’t need to change our config.h rules.