[webkit-dev] Proposal: upstream the WPE port

Carlos Garcia Campos carlosgc at webkit.org
Sun Apr 23 23:51:12 PDT 2017

El sáb, 22-04-2017 a las 08:09 -0500, Michael Catanzaro escribió:
> On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 1:14 AM, Carlos Garcia Campos
> <carlosgc at webkit.org> wrote:
> > The easiest way would be to reuse the GTK+ API. WPE has the same
> > dependencies than the GTK+ port except for GTK+ itself. The GTK+
> > API
> > of
> > course depend on GTK+, but only for the WebView, and a few other
> > fallback implementations like the file chooser, color chooser,
> > printing, etc, that are, in any case, optional. So, we could move
> > 95%
> > of the GTK+ API to a common glib dir and reuse all that in WPE,
> > only
> > adding a WebView implementation for WPE.
>
> I'm sure reimplementing WebKitWebView without GTK+ will be a lot of
> work, and I'm pretty sure it's a lot more than 5% of the current
> API.

I don't know why you are so sure. The idea is exactly the same to what
the C API was, a cross-platform API where ports only need to provide a
WebView implementation. WPE should already have one for the C API. Note
that I'm not proposing that WPE uses exactly the same WebKitWebView API
than the GTK+ port, but that they provide their own one. Only the
shared part of the API will be exactly the same, of course.

> But I like this plan. It will result in a dramatically better API
> for
> WPE than what we have now. The cross-platform C API is not very
> good.
> Our GObject-based GTK+ API is. Why didn't we consider this before? :)

Because everybody involved in WPE, devs and users, were/are happy with
the C API.