[webkit-dev] [CMake] Bumping cmake_minimum_required

Fujii Hironori fujii.hironori at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 07:16:22 PDT 2016

Oops. I replied personally. I repost my and his messages again.

On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 19:34:36 +0900,
Fujii Hironori wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 2:58 AM, Konstantin Tokarev <annulen at yandex.ru> wrote:
> >
> > Supporting 2.8.12 allows building on more older/LTS systems using
> > cmake installed from repositories. For example, CentOS 6 and Ubuntu
> > 14.04 ship cmake 2.8.12.2, and Debian stable ships 3.0.2
>
> I want to use USES_TERMINAL switch of add_custom_command
> introduced in CMake v3.2.
>   <https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.2/command/add_custom_command.html>
> But, this is not necessary.
> I can switch with CMAKE_VERSION for old version.
>   <https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.2/variable/CMAKE_VERSION.html>
>
> WebKit uses new technologies C++14 and CMake Ninja generator.
> Is it possible to build WebKit on such old Linux distribution?

On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 20:18:46 +0900,
Konstantin Tokarev wrote:

> Sure, RedHat provides gcc updates, and it's also possible to use clang from official binaries.
>
> That said, upgrading CMake can bring other benefits, i.e. it will be possible to start build system refactor to use more modern practices. It should also be possible to add cmake to jhbuild so required version could be automatically built from sources

On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 20:34:39 +0900,
Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
> As for Debian, it ships gcc 4.9 as default compiler

On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 20:31:55 +0900,
Konstantin Tokarev wrote:

> > I want to use USES_TERMINAL switch of add_custom_command
> > introduced in CMake v3.2.
> >   <https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.2/command/add_custom_command.html>
>
> Do I understand correctly that you are not going to use terminal input, but just move target to another ("console") pool so other targets are not built in paralell with it?
>
> It would be great if cmake allowed more fine-grained control over ninja pools, I was considering adding perl script that modifies generated build.ninja

USES_TERMINAL has two effects which I want:

1) isolated Ninja pool to inhibit background parallel build
2) terminal output during executing a command