[webkit-dev] WebKit GPU rendering possibility

Myles C. Maxfield mmaxfield at apple.com
Wed Nov 2 16:30:10 PDT 2016

Hello,

This is certainly interesting work! I have a few questions about the approach of this renderer.

1. What API is this on top of? OpenGL? Metal? Vulkan? Raw GPU commands[1]?
2. You mention in your video that you have already migrated Cairo on top of your new tech. Traditionally, a web engine is divorced from a 2D rendering engine such as Cairo. Why can’t the ports of WebKit which use Cairo get this new tech without any change?
3. What sort of API changes do you have in mind to make GraphicsContext adopt?
4. Out of curiosity, does the renderer implement 3D transforms? Did you have to implement 3-D triangle subdivision along intersections (perhaps for order-independent transparency)?
5. Which algorithm did you choose to draw text?

Historically, the WebKit team has hesitated to allow experiments in the OpenSource repository. Traditionally, this sort of exploratory work is done in a branch, and only after it has proved to be an improvement, the work is adopted on trunk.

Thanks,
Myles

[1] https://01.org/linuxgraphics/documentation/hardware-specification-prms <https://01.org/linuxgraphics/documentation/hardware-specification-prms>