[webkit-dev] canvas and sRGB

Rik Cabanier cabanier at gmail.com
Mon May 2 13:45:43 PDT 2016

All,

with the release of DCI-P3 screen, WebKit began supporting the display of
high gamut images.
Specifically, if you have an image with a DCI-P3 profile, its pixels render
untouched on the new displays.

However, if you try do do any sort of canvas manipulation, you will see
that the colors are being compressed to sRGB and you will lose the depth of
the color.

Was it an oversight to always create the canvas imagebuffer in sRGB? [1]
If this is as-designed, how can we work around this limitation?

PS
I asked the same question on WhatWG. [2]

1:
https://github.com/WebKit/webkit/blob/112c663463807e8676765cb7a006d415c372f447/Source/WebCore/platform/graphics/ImageBuffer.h#L73
2:
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-whatwg-archive/2016Apr/0036.html