[webkit-dev] Suggestion: runtime disable Fetch API until it's complete enough for real web-apps

Timothy Hatcher timothy at apple.com
Thu Mar 31 11:06:09 PDT 2016

> On Mar 31, 2016, at 10:02 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:
>
> The recently released Safari Technology Preview has gotten more people living on builds close to trunk, which is cool. Some people pointing out that the current state of Fetch API causes problems - it's not quite complete enough for real web apps that want to use it, but its presence breaks the detection that would substitute a polypill.
>
> I'd like to suggest that it should be disabled until it's complete enough to work. I would propose a runtime flag instead of compile-time so it can continue to be tested by our regression tests while it's getting finished up.

It is is way better shape in trunk. It really just missed the Safari Technology Preview build by a couple days. A fetch example I have now works in a trunk Safari build for example.

I think we can keep it enabled and have it be in the next Safari Technology Preview release. We do need to be careful with things like this in the future though.

— Timothy Hatcher