[webkit-dev] Status of the MathML layout refactoring

Frédéric WANG fred.wang at free.fr
Wed Jun 15 04:14:18 PDT 2016

Hi all,

Last December, Alex wrote an announcement about some refactoring of the
MathML layout code [1]. We slightly deviated from the plan proposed
there: the two separate steps (Remove FlexBox dependency without
changing the RenderTree structure and then Refactor the RenderTree
structure) are now expected to be done in a single phase. We also added
more phases: Adding support for important MathML features and OpenType
MATH properties ; and ​Moving all parsing of MathML attributes from
renderer classes to element classes.

You can get a detailed explanations and status on the trac wiki [2]. As
you can see we have already merged many patches of phase 1 and we are
close to make MathML independent from flexbox. We would definitely
welcome any help to complete that work as soon as possible... So if some
of you have time to review these patches or at least provide feedback,
that would be much appreciated!

Note that this refactoring mainly focuses on code quality so that it is
easier to maintain and to add future improvements. However, if you are
curious about how mathematical formulas will look like after the
refactoring, see [3] for a screenshot of Mozilla's MathML torture test
[4] in Safari, using the Latin Modern Math font [5].

Thanks,

Frédéric Wang

[1] https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2015-December/027840.html
[2] http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/MathML/Early_2016_Refactoring
[3]
http://people.igalia.com/fwang/images/mac-webkitrefactored-latinmodernmath.png
[4]
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/MathML_Project/MathML_Torture_Test
[5] The importance of fonts for math rendering has already been
discussed in a previous thread. See
http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/MathML/Fonts for the latest update.