[webkit-dev] WebKit render tree

Myles C. Maxfield mmaxfield at apple.com
Wed Jun 1 13:09:28 PDT 2016

From the description, it sounds like you have some native code which needs to be able to modify the DOM and you need events from the DOM to be able to call code from your library. You can do this today without modifying WebKit.

The way for native code to modify the DOM is for the native code to generate a JavaScript string and submit the string to be run inside the JavaScript context of the page. You can do this in WK1 by JSEvaluateScript(), the WebScriptObject, or by stringByEvaluatingJavaScriptFromString. In WebKit2, WKWebView has a method evaluateJavaScript (Or from C you can run WKPageRunJavaScriptInMainFrame, but this isn’t considered API)

You can also use Objective-C DOM bindings to manipulate the DOM directly from native code, this approach is discouraged.

One way for DOM events to call code from your library is to create a JavaScript object or method which is backed by native code. Then, the JavaScript event handler can call the functions on this object, which causes your native code to run. This can be done with the functions listed inside Source/JavaScriptCore/API/JSObjectRef.h.

In WebKit2, this native-backed-object can still be made, but it must be done inside the Web process (not the UI process), and therefore must be done with the InjectedBundle. Inside the InjectedBundle, you can run native code in the web process, and there are facilities to send messages between the Web process & UI process. You can find out more if you search for “InjectedBundle” inside Source/WebKit2/UIProcess/API. Note, however, that use of the InjectedBundle is not considered API.

We rely on the above mechanisms heavily in our testing infrastructure. Our Tools/DumpRenderTree and Tools/WebKitTestRunner projects use the techniques described above.

The Windows port currently doesn’t support WebKit2, so you’ll have to use the WebKit1 approach on Windows.