[webkit-dev] [webkit-help] Issue with Web Inspector debugger breakpoint handling (on Wincairo)

Joseph Pecoraro pecoraro at apple.com
Fri Oct 2 15:12:12 PDT 2015

> Here are the simple steps to reproduce it,
> 1.       Launch WinCairo and go to google.com <http://google.com/>
> 2.       Open Web inspector and open the script source of any .js script
> 3.       Set a breakpoint anywhere
> 4.       Reload the web page
>
> What we see is the spinner spinning and never the script source. However, if one presses continue-script-execution from the debugger controls, we get the view back.

Is WinCairo using WebKit1 or WebKit2?

This sounds like a known issue with WebKit1 where the inspector frontend page lives in the same process as the inspected page. In this situation pausing a page prevents Promise reactions from firing in the inspector frontend page. Loading resource content in the frontend depends on Promises. This should not be a problem in a WebKit2 world where the inspector frontend page lives in a separate process.

- Joe