[webkit-dev] Prototyping Custom Elements API

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Wed Nov 18 18:35:14 PST 2015

Hi all,

I would like to start prototyping custom elements API in WebKit.
Custom elements API allows authors to define a author-defined tag name
associated with its own JS interface.  There is a draft spec proposed
by Google (http://w3c.github.io/webcomponents/spec/custom/) but there
has been many open questions regarding the construction timing and
mechanism:
https://github.com/w3c/webcomponents/tree/gh-pages/proposals

Unfortunately, many of those open questions are hard to answer without
further implementation experience and feedback as well as Web
developer feedback.  As such, I've started prototyping what we've been
discussing at W3C and posted work-in-progress patches on
webkit.org/b/150225.

Since it's troublesome for developers to build trunk WebKit with my
changes, I plan to land my experimental API on trunk WebKit behind a
build flag, enabled it by default for Mac port (as done for shadow DOM
API).

Please let me know if you have any concerns and/or comments.

- R. Niwa