[webkit-dev] Single-page apps without Javascript W3C proposal interest?

Bobby Mozumder bmozumder at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 00:49:11 PDT 2015

Hi,

I submitted a proposal to W3C & WHATWG to enhance HTML to support single-page apps without using Javascript:

	https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-whatwg-archive/2015Mar/0071.html

And here’s a document on Github that’s clearer than that email:

	https://github.com/mozumder/html6

This proposal somehow went viral:

	http://www.infoworld.com/article/2901436/internet/faster-web-page-loading-without-javascript.html  (includes an analyst quote)
	http://sdtimes.com/w3c-member-proposes-single-page-apps-without-javascript-in-html6/  (been a top trending story for the last week)
	http://blog.smartbear.com/web-development/html6-apis-as-natural-friends/
	http://jaxenter.com/html6-proposal-for-single-page-apps-without-javascript-causes-scandal-115919.html

and lots more, in different languages around the world. If you search “html6” on Twitter, you’ll see. There are hundreds or thousands of shares, upvotes, comments, etc.

So it looks like a lot of people want something like this to happen.  I believe it represents web developers’ dissatisfaction in having to use these Javascript frameworks to do something basic that should have been a part of the HTML spec, that is, dynamic loading of content.  I put this proposal out there as a result of my own frustrations with these frameworks being constantly redesigned.

I’m checking if there’s any interest from the Webkit team on this?  I’m trying to plan the next steps and probably wouldn’t proceed without at least some sort of interest or guidance from the browser vendors.  (maybe this is technically impossible, etc..) Next steps would probably include working on a full spec, and possibly implementation.  I have built WebKit nightly before, but haven’t modified any of its code, and I suspect something like this would be way beyond me time-wise to fully implement myself, but if there’s interest, I could possibly figure out some options.

Anyways do let me know of any interest.

-bobby
---
Bobby Mozumder