[webkit-dev] WebCore/platform standalone library

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Wed Mar 18 22:47:50 PDT 2015

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 9:43 PM, Myles C. Maxfield <mmaxfield at apple.com>
wrote:

> I'd like to announce that I intend to create a standalone static library
> from the current contents of WebCore/platform over the coming months. This
> will involve creating a "Platform" top-level directory and moving source
> files into it, one by one.

That sounds great.

There are a few reasons for this:

> 1. Enforcing the layering between Platform and WebCore. Moving Platform
> into its own target/directory can guarantee that nothing inside it knows
> about anything in WebCore.
> 2. Being able to test code in the Platform directory with TestWebKitAPI
> (without exporting Platform symbols from the WebCore library)

We should make sure unit tests we write for the Platform API doesn't reduce
the hackability / refactor-ability of the code.  It's very easy to write a
lot of unit tests around an internal API that prevent large architectual
changes.  Just look at webkitpy!  It's impossible to hack on that codebase
due to thousands of unit tests that depend on non-public API.

- R. Niwa