[webkit-dev] Support "registerProtocolHandler" in WebKit2

Brady Eidson beidson at apple.com
Mon Jul 6 09:56:45 PDT 2015

> On Jul 1, 2015, at 7:42 PM, Gyuyoung Kim <gyuyoung.kim at webkit.org> wrote:
>
> WebKit2 already has a similar feature, which is so-called *custom protocol* enabled by Mac, Gtk and EFL ports. However the custom protocol feature supports to register custom scheme
> through API layer instead of JavaScript. The registerProtocolHandler() is to support to register the custom scheme by means of JavaScript. I don't know yet why we can't support to register it
> from JavaScript.

The custom protocol handler feature of the WebKit2 API is for the embedding native application to provide raw data to resource loads directly.

While tangentially related to how registerProtocolHandler would work for some uses, there’s numerous differences.

One key example: Since it was implemented for the native embedding application (which is, of course, trusted) none of the normal web security concerns have been taken into account.

Also, since they’re for special-use native apps instead of a general web browser, none of Sam’s concerns had to be accounted for:

> On Jul 4, 2015, at 10:24 AM, Sam Weinig <weinig at apple.com> wrote:
>
> My concern with the registerProtocolHandler() API is that it complicates an already the very complicated area of custom protocols and a good implementation requires configuration UI (to choose which of potentially multiple apps/websites you want a specific protocol to go to) that I am not sure users are in the position make.
> From an implementation perspective I also have concerns.  How is this should the registration data be managed? Can it fit in the WebSiteData model we are using for other data? Does it account for non-persistent sessions?  And lastly, can we get the code size of supporting a feature like this to be smaller?

I’m not crafting this reply as an argument against registerProtocolHandler, but rather to dispel the notion that exposing "WK2 custom protocols” to JS is all we need to do to get registerProtocolHandler.

~Brady