[webkit-dev] Proposal: Remove CSS color-correction property

Dirk Schulze dschulze at adobe.com
Thu Jul 2 12:46:55 PDT 2015

> On Jul 2, 2015, at 8:47 AM, Tim Horton <timothy_horton at apple.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jul 1, 2015, at 23:36, Dirk Schulze <dschulze at adobe.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Darin,
>>
>>> On Jul 1, 2015, at 5:16 PM, Darin Adler <darin at apple.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi folks.
>>>
>>> WebKit has a CSS property named color-correction. It’s still prefixed, so some would call it -webkit-color-correction and I don’t think it’s yet been proposed as a CSS standard.
>>>
>>> Apple engineers added this a while back so that WebKit could continue interpret webpage and image colors as device native color space for performance and to match content from legacy plug-ins. The property allowed some web content to specify sRGB to get predictable results when correctness mattered more than performance.
>>>
>>> If I’m not mistaken, this optimization is no longer effective on either of the Apple platforms. I’m pretty sure we always do the color correction. I suspect no one needs this feature.
>>
>> Do you mean that WebKit uses sRGB by default now? I thought the default would still be DeviceRGB.
>
> DeviceRGB became equivalent to sRGB (thus causing WebKit to do color correction as if all colors are tagged as sRGB) on OS X a few releases ago. It no longer means “the same color space as the display”.

I see. There was an attempt to specify this property from Mozilla. IIRC they had issues with color managed Flash applications that blend into a HTML context and same colors didn't match between Flash and HTML. So far Flash was the only use case. IMO not a forward looking approach.

If sRGB and DeviceRGB are the only property values and DeviceRGB maps to sRGB in Safari, there doesn't seem to be a reason to keep the property.

Greetings,
Dirk