[webkit-dev] Proposal: Remove CSS color-correction property

Darin Adler darin at apple.com
Wed Jul 1 08:15:56 PDT 2015

Hi folks.

WebKit has a CSS property named color-correction. It’s still prefixed, so some would call it -webkit-color-correction and I don’t think it’s yet been proposed as a CSS standard.

Apple engineers added this a while back so that WebKit could continue interpret webpage and image colors as device native color space for performance and to match content from legacy plug-ins. The property allowed some web content to specify sRGB to get predictable results when correctness mattered more than performance.

If I’m not mistaken, this optimization is no longer effective on either of the Apple platforms. I’m pretty sure we always do the color correction. I suspect no one needs this feature.

I suggest we remove the property.

Does anyone know a good reason not to remove it? I won’t necessarily land the code to remove it right away, but I’d like to get agreement on this now so I can do that later.

— Darin