[webkit-dev] run-webkit-tests question; hashes when comparing ref test output

Dirk Pranke dpranke at chromium.org
Thu Jan 22 14:25:39 PST 2015

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 1:56 PM, Darin Adler <darin at apple.com> wrote:

> > On Jan 22, 2015, at 12:58 PM, Dirk Pranke <dpranke at chromium.org> wrote:
> >
> > Of course, Chromium was more willing to incur the cost of keeping all of
> the pixel tests up to date when trivial things changed the output
>
> This comment, and much of the discussion, seems to be about pixel tests.
> But what does this have to do with reference tests?

The message has nothing to do with whether the test is a pixel test or a
ref test.

My reply was intended to explain why we had the "hashes didn't match but
diff passed" message, and the discrepancy around fuzzy matching; on the
Chromium ports, if run-webkit-tests had printed this message, it would've
served as a warning to the user/developer that there was something weird
going on.

If you all decide you wanted to keep fuzzy matching enabled (and hence that
message would happen regularly and could be safely ignored), I would either
delete the message outright or at least make it be a debug message.

You could also decide you wanted to do fuzzy matching only on ref tests, or
only on pixel tests, and change the logic accordingly, of course.

-- Dirk