[webkit-dev] WebKit debugging on OSX and ~/.lldbinit

Sylvain Galineau galineau at adobe.com
Tue Feb 24 15:10:07 PST 2015

I’ve recently found myself in the following situation while debugging
WebKit: the debugger (Xcode) would hit a breakpoint, I would place a new
breakpoint in a method up the current call stack, re-run my test and
then…nothing. The new breakpoint would never be hit though the original
one still was and I could still see that method on the call stack with my
breakpoint in it.

For instance, I would set a breakpoint in FontCascade::width(), see
RenderSVGText::layout() on the call stack then set a breakpoint in the
latter. I’d try my test again and never break into
RenderSVGText::layout().

I verified I was using a debug build, rebuilt from scratch, tried
command-line LLDB, stood on my head, no luck.

Until I added:

	settings set target.inline-breakpoint-strategy always

in ~/.lldbinit.

I’m glad it works - yay breakpoints - but am not quite sure why this bit
of magic is needed. Does anyone else use this/know why it helps?