[webkit-dev] Proposal: Remove TextureMapperImageBuffer

Ilyes GOUTA ilyes.gouta at st.com
Fri Apr 24 08:48:56 PDT 2015

Hi Martin,

> Background: There currently exists a fallback TextureMapper implementation that does not use OpenGL to composite and project
> layers, but instead relies on 2D rasterization. This does not work correctly for Cairo, since Cairo only supports affine transformations.
> I believe this path is only used by GTK+ (and perhaps WinCairo) now.

> Proposal: I would like to remove TextureMapperImageBuffer and make TextureMapperGL the only implementation of TextureMapper.
> Not only will this simplify the code, it will remove a build flag (TEXTURE_MAPPER_GL). The current path isn't (or really shouldn't)
> be enabled by default.

> Please speak up if you are opposed. :)

At STMicroelectronics, we do have an accelerated WebGL and Video compositing path that's based on TextureMapperImageBuffer
(so native platform's pixmaps). We use that with the Qt port. Compositing happens accelerated using a Blitter (not a GPU) as is still
useful (and fast) for low-end devices.

Ilyes