[webkit-dev] Please be careful with webkitpy changes!

Osztrogonác Csaba oszi at inf.u-szeged.hu
Thu Apr 2 02:26:54 PDT 2015

Hi,

There are different issues here:
- EWS bots don't run webkitpy tests, except the Mac WK1 and WK2.
(running webkitpy tests is part of run tests) Maybe we should
run webkitpy tests on the non tester EWS bots too.

- poor webkitpy test coverage: Windows buildbots should have
noticed the mentioned failure after the patch landed.
(Or is it possible that Win EWS and buildbot have different config?)

- EWS can't check properly if a patch break its own code, because
it applies the patch and then do the build, test, etc - without
restarting the process. By this time most of the code are in the
memory, changing the code of a running process won't influence
the actual run. It isn't trivial to fix this issue, and I'm not
sure if it is so important.

This kind of issues are very rare and can be catched easily if the port
maintainers / gardeners are monitoring the EWS queues and buildbots
continuously, not only once a day or more rarely. Maybe we could add
a heartbeat feature to webkitbot. It could ping maintainers on IRC
or send an email if a buildbot or EWS is offline or the queue is too
long for a while.

br,
Ossy