[webkit-dev] SIMD support in JavaScript

Filip Pizlo fpizlo at apple.com
Sun Sep 28 11:52:00 PDT 2014

-Filip
> On Sep 28, 2014, at 6:44 AM, Dan Gohman <sunfish at mozilla.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Nadav,
>
> I agree with much of your assessment of the the proposed SIMD.js API.
> However, I don't believe it's unsuitability for some problems
> invalidates it for solving other very important problems, which it is
> well suited for. Performance portability is actually one of SIMD.js'
> biggest strengths: it's not the kind of performance portability that
> aims for a consistent percentage of peak on every machine (which, as you
> note, of course an explicit 128-bit SIMD API won't achieve), it's the
> kind of performance portability that achieves predictable performance
> and minimizes surprises across machines (though yes, there are some
> unavoidable ones, but overall the picture is quite good).

Would you claim that if there exists even just one corner case use of a language feature then this is sufficient to add the feature to the language specification and have all browsers implement it?

The problem with SIMD.js is that it is even less useful than native SIMD. To me, "less useful than SIMD" is a euphemism for "useless".

-Filip