[webkit-dev] Port-specific OpenType support

Dirk Schulze krit at webkit.org
Sun Sep 14 01:11:08 PDT 2014

On Sep 11, 2014, at 11:03 PM, Martin Robinson <mrobinson at webkit.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 11:44 AM, Myles C. Maxfield <mmaxfield at apple.com> wrote:
>> My question to WebKit-Dev is: Are there any ports who:
>> 1) Want continued support for SVG fonts, and
>> 2) Whose platforms do not support OpenType fonts natively?
>
> WebKitGTK+ supports OpenType natively and I as far as I know we have
> no problems dropping support for SVG fonts. If SVG fonts are supported
> by the Mac port though, we will probably still want to maintain
> support for our own port, if possible.

SVG Fonts live in the non-platform WebCore space. Dropping support for one platform but keeping the code around for another wouldn’t be of any benefit for WebCore as a whole.

Adobe’s TypeKit team dropped support for SVG Fonts a couple of months ago and got very view complains. OT should be supported for WebKitGTK+ from the beginning and is a better replacement for WebCore’s SVG Font implementation in any possible way. It is much less likely that content for WebKitGTK+ uses SVG Fonts than for content for iOS. And even Apple seems to be willing to drop support now.

Greetings,
Dirk