[webkit-dev] Upstreaming the Haiku port again

Benjamin Poulain benjamin at webkit.org
Tue Oct 7 12:47:18 PDT 2014

I believe it is better for Haiku to remain out of the main tree until
the project gains at least 2 reviewers.

Without dedicated reviewers, you will struggle to integrate any patch
because nobody in the WebKit project is familiar with the Haiku
platform. To give you an idea of how huge the backlog is, look at the
list of patches currently waiting for review:
https://webkit.org/pending-review

The best way forward is to start making patches for the fixes you have
made that are independent of any platform. An other kind of patches is
any refactoring that improve platform abstractions. Cleaning up the code
this way should make it easier for you to work on a branch.

Those fixes would go toward a nommation as committer, then reviewer.
Without multiple reviewers, it is just impossible for a port to thrive
on the main branch.

Note that having reviewers is not a enough to upstream a port, you would
be expected to contribute to the core. But I believe it is a necessary
condition for success.

What are the major pain points today of developing Haiku WebKit in a
branch? The first step is addressing those in the main branch.

Benjamin