[webkit-dev] Tagged assertions...

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Thu Nov 6 14:33:29 PST 2014

I appreciate that you’re thinking through how to solve the problem of matching bug reports to assertions in a general way.

In my own experience, matching the bug to the right assertion is not that common a problem. I agree with others that most of the time, the function name, line number and message are sufficient. If the default message is not enough, we also have ASSERT_WITH_MESSAGE for those cases.

Based on this, I think the proposed solution may be too much cost to be worth the benefit. Having a field in bugzilla dedicated to holding an assertion unique ID tag means extra work for everyone filing assertion bugs. But the benefit will only be in the rare case that the existing data is not enough, and that they didn’t forget. Because people might forget, ultimately you’ll still have to search in multiple ways a lot of the time.

Something that may help this type of problem with lower distributed cost: make more use of ASSERT_WITH_MESSAGE in cases where the assertion expression is not descriptive enough or not unique enough.

Regards,
Maciej